Vanilla post: Clare Miller. Power of a woman.

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Joroincharge, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Joroincharge

Joroincharge Lock em up - 24/7/365!!

England
    Local Time:
    6:57 AM
    On Monday I listened to Woman's Hour, BBC Radio 4 programme, very good one. And heard interview with her.

I could not believe my ears, I had never even imagined it was possible. I certainly could not do it.

Programme is here, click on her name for interview.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06fkd1n#play

I then went to the back TV programme to listen for myself.

Is here. But only for 28 days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...s-ultimate-hell-week-episode-6#group=b069ccw0

The prior episodes are there too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/b069ccw0

and they expire earlier, one of them on Monday coming 12:05 am BST. But it's the last one that impressed me.

Joro

2. ladylionzsissy

ladylionzsissy male chastity sissymaid

east coast
    Local Time:
    2:57 AM
    oh darn! this sissy can't activate the player... i'll search for the transcript...

3. Joroincharge

England
    Local Time:
    Not sure which one you can't activate, but I checked the links and thy still work for me. On the middle one the screen starts black but after 10-15 seconds or o turns into a pic (the last three finalists-it's Clare on the left)) and there's an arrow to click to start.

4. Billus

Billus Laconic.

UK
    Local Time:
    I don't think the BBC iPlayer will work if you're outside the UK.

5. Joroincharge

England
    Local Time:
    Possible - I don't know.

6. tegelad

tegelad Class and sophistication in all things

High Tech Internet Architect
    Texas
    Local Time:
    1:57 AM
    yeah ... I tried, and it appears they have locked the playing to on the island ... is there a transcript of the episdoe somewhere?

7. Joroincharge

England
    Local Time:
    What a shame. But for those who can't see it this is what it was.

Contest was open to all civilians in UK, prior had been male only, but opened to women to for first time. Contestants had to go through twelve days of the toughest physical and mental tests that trained soldiers undergo if they aspire to enter the elite special forces.

Two days each in turn on the Brecon Beacons (where British SAS train) with the US Navy seals, the Israeli Yamam, the Phillipines Navsog, the Australian SAS, the Russian Spetznav and finally the British SAS, all with what genuine soldiers get for real. and designed to test the toughest to the limits of endurance, very little food or sleep, and largelr running on empty. 29 entrants almost all male, by last day only 6 left, then whittled down to 3 : Clare was one, only woman left, and beat them all. Last test was long cross country run with 20 kg pack and 5 kg rifle, no allowance made in this test (or any others) for size or gender. She weighs 55 kg (& 5' 4"), the others near twice her size. And she came in 6 mins ahead of the second (male) and a lot more ahead of the third.

And while I have always believd women are more than the equal of men in most areas, I'd certainly never thought this to be one of them. We're not built that way.

spider203 likes this.
  8. Billus

Billus Laconic.

UK
    Local Time:
    Joro, I'm surprised to hear a stereotypical remark like that from you. There are a lot of tough women in the military all around the world. If Ms. Miller is young, in shape and well-trained, there's no reason why she could not have endurance levels equal to or better than most men. Paula Radcliffe, in her prime, could outpace almost every male on the planet. Ms. Miller's size may even help, since she would probably lose less sweat while still being able to regulate her body temperature. Sure, she might not have the muscle mass to outfight some guy nearly twice her size, but it's not always about brute force; conserving your strength and canny thinking also play important roles. Kudos to her for not believing she wouldn't stand a chance because she's 'just' a woman.

9. tegelad

Texas
    Local Time:
    Each sex has it's particular strengths and weaknesses ... I think the harshest part of the military handling comes from the heavy compression on the spine from hauling the pack. Women's center of gravity is different then a man's , e.g. the difference in hips which were built for child bearing actually has been found to exert extra lateral pressure on the knees, which cause the knees and joints to break down more. Also, men's shoulders on average being wider has the ability to slighty adjust the holding of the heavy packs. Women though on the other hand usually have a higher pain tolerance and better flexibility .... so it depends the aspect of the fight they are in .... I have learned to never judge a book by it's cover; however, the one and only thing that "torques" me a bit is the fact that women are excluded from selective service (a.k.a the draft) in the US. I see no ALCU or any feminst group stepping up to "stop the oppression" of not registering at the age of 18. In the US if a man does not sign up, he can be forced to go to jail, and from 18 to 37 he can be forced at any time to go to war regardless of any condition. There was a lawsuit brought up about this; however, it was tabled due to the military studying how to implement it. So the bothersome part is that there is a fight for women to be in combat, which they are being allowed to .... but forcing everyone to have to be able to be drafted ... silence .... that is a hypocrisy under my viewpoint ....

10. Joroincharge

England
    Local Time:

It wasn't just the race, though that was part of it; becuse the two men she beat in the end she'd never been able to beat before, but the weights she had to carry throughout the 12 days and so on. The whole programme was designed for males. If you could see the programme you'd see what I mean. But you do have a point in that the SAS officer who judged on the last day and had been 17 years in it openly admitted it had give him a lot to think about.

Dufty likes this.
  11. Joroincharge

England
    Local Time:

That's just it. It'was the hauling the pack. And in an earlier exercise it wasn't just the 20 kg pack, but a 15 kg can on top of it, plus 5 kg rifle, and all going up a steep mountain. It was damned hard, but she still did it. That said, on active service the SAS regularly carry 40 kg; and in the proramme she said if she had to do that all the time she'd probably not have coped so well.

In UK there is no draft. All in the forces (men and women) have joined from choice as a career. And, yes, women are and always have been excluded from special forces, and indeed combat roles generally. But Clare Miller afterwards did say, I think in the Woman's Hour programme, that she was considering joining as an army doctor (she is a doctor in civilian life now) if there are vacancies. if she does, I'm sure she'll be in her element.

Dufty and tegelad like this.
  12. tegelad

Texas
    Local Time:
    My better half has a friend in the military, and she stated after a year on her last tour she shrunk 1-2" ... I have the deepest admiration for all sexes that serve, and for a woman to do it given the bias, that is double inspiration.

13. Joroincharge

England
    Local Time:
    Just to add.

Anyone who can access site and wants to and hasn't: the facility is due to expire 11.45 pm GMT tomorrow.

I looked at it again - stilll cannot believe it - is equivalent of a woman winning the men's marathon ( and carrying heavy weights to boot) on equal terms.

Awesome. This sort of thing isn't normally my cup of tea; not what I would do at all - but it just goes to show.

:D

14. Joroincharge

England
    Local Time:
    Just looked again: is no longer available on BBC except as for sale at very minimal amount. But it has been put on youtube. Keeps coming and going there and doesn't always come up on search.

But currently last episode is here:

15. sonic chaste

sonic chaste Long term member

Medical profession
    South UK
    Local Time:
    I watched the whole series and I think she was awesome throughout.... From day 1 when they threw the leadership on her, right to the end.

16. Dufty

Dufty Long term member

Local Time:
    I saw the series and Clare was impressive throughout and worked very hard to ultimately win. Big respect to her and the other ladies serving in the forces.

17. Joroincharge

England
    Local Time:
    My thought too. She isn't in the forces of course - she's a doctor at Northwick Park Hospital in London, but in an interview on Woman's Hour just after the last episode a month or two backalong, she said she had considered joining as an army doctor. That video on youtube curtained the pics so you don't see the whole screen, so don't quite get the look on her face when the times were announced and she found she'd been faster than Brassington (male and favourite to win) by literally a country mile - 27 mins faster over 12 km. Plus carrying 20+kg each when she weighs 55 and the men nearly twice that - is really something else.

Dufty likes this.
  18. Joroincharge

England
    Local Time:
    Is now on youtube.

19. Joroincharge

England
    Local Time:
    Just looked again and it's gone. I had been about to put more on this thread and may do yet.

20. L-u-c-y

Staff Member Owner of Chastity Mansion Administrator Verified Female

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    As someone else said, being smaller and lighter can be an advantage....

Joroincharge likes this.
  21. Joroincharge

England
    Local Time:
    Very often. But not in Clare's case. It was like her competing against men in a half-marathon and winning, despite being disproportionately encumbered with weight in proportion to her size. I will see if I can find another you tube on it. But no promises. However I thought of her when recently investigating someone else on whom I may also post on this thread in time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice