Covid-19 and Life

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Hubby&Missy, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Guest 6019

Guest 6019 Long term member

Local Time:
    2:55 PM
    And how did he back up his theory?

2. Lazlo Toth

Lazlo Toth C/D on the TomAllen-Rectrix scale: 9/9

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    6:55 AM
    I am sure he backed it up with 8 years of medical training. 4 years of college likely in a natural science. And about ten years of seeing patients.

Suffice it to say, the man very likely had an ability far exceeding our own in discerning various types of illnesses.

3. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    Surely a virologist is the person who's opinion we should seek for answers. Ask him about my knee, it's killing me.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01529-3

This was an interesting article. I think the "Jury's Out" on whether this virus came from the lab, amending my previous comment. Though answers may still come it seems. The rest of the science world wants to know for sure.

4. L-u-c-y

Staff Member Owner of Chastity Mansion Administrator Verified Female

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    I don't really care if it came from a lab or not, what's pissed me off is the crazy approach to containing it.

5. Guest 6019

Local Time:

Me too.

But I'm not surprised anymore. Jaded I guess.

My vote counts for nothing, and I will never agree with the majority of the other constituents in our area. Until we get a proper, fair system of governance, note I don't assume government, it's hard to feel like you can do something about the status quo.

I've been to rally's, protests, marches, festivals. They feel empowering and game changing at the time, and sometimes we can make a small difference.

Never give up hope. We are generally quite an amazing species and if we can manage to not become extinct.....the only way is up. It's Darwinian evolution by natural selection. We will be the next generation's fossils in the blink of a geological eye.

6. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    I am sorry this man's medical training wasn't up to your standards.

SubSnuggler likes this.
  7. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    Don't take I personally Lazlo I'm just making the point that we should all take anything anyone says at face value , and I do make a valid point.

Do your own research, and be prepared to change your opinion if what you believe to be true is proved wrong, or called into doubt.

Your bone doctor may be correct, but just to assume "he's a doctor, he must know" is folly.

8. Fit To Be Tied

Fit To Be Tied Long term member

Retired
    Whidbey Island, Washington
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    THE CENTERS FOR DISINFORMATION AND CONFUSION (CDC) TO LOOSEN FACE DIAPER GUIDELINES ON FRIDAY

According to the Associated Press, the CDC is likely to strongly loosen their mask guidance tomorrow, dropping the recommendation that masks should be worn indoors. Under the new guidelines, the vast majority of Americans will no longer live in areas where indoor masking in public is recommended, based on current data.

I guess that means we’ll be forced to see more of Sleepy, Creepy, Crazy, Perverted Uncle Joe’s full face.

See:
    https://apnews.com/article/coronavi...Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  9. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    Jah,

I appreciate your point. But my anecdote of two years ago was just that. You made a wild leap from that to "he's a doctor he must know" mindset you presume I have. Truth be told, I consider most doctors to be hacks. Likewise, learned people are usually worth listening to. They may be correct or not, but we are similarly mistaken if we think that WE are the sole possessor of the truth.

SubSnuggler and Fit To Be Tied like this.
  10. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    Perfect! Just in time for the elections. No masks......Covid is over...yay! (they say) and a war in Ukraine. I guess those crazy democrats aren't so bad after all.

11. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    With respect Lazlo,
    I made no wild leap, whereas I think you gave far too much weight to his supposed expertise in virology.

"He said unequivocally that this disease was man-made"

"I am sure he backed it up with 8 years of medical training. 4 years of college likely in a natural science. And about ten years of seeing patients.

Suffice it to say, the man very likely had an ability far exceeding our own in discerning various types of illnesses."

I'm just saying, there is a lot of misinformation and some truth once in a while) out there. Sorting it out is nigh on impossible, no matter what your level of education. I don't believe either side of the argument right now, I want more data

12. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    The trouble with information today is that ideas, whether good or bad, or truths and lies don't gain impetus by how correct they are. Their viral qualities are memetic, based on popularity. The more people that look the more the idea takes off.

SubSnuggler and tomf_22033 like this.
  13. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    9:55 AM
    So true

And if you disagree with someone then attack them instead of debating and having mature respectful conversations.

Being polite has gone out the toilet and it's like people are returning to primitive ways.

SubSnuggler, Lazlo Toth and L-u-c-y like this.
  14. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    Which I hope I've avoided @Lazlo Toth :) it's a fine line sometimes.

Lazlo Toth and tomf_22033 like this.
  15. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    I think we can try to be polite.

Personally I try to be as clear as I can. And I don't personally attack others even when they resort to that. I know it won't get me "points" but I hope that it shows sane people that I'm a gentleman who is willing to fight for what I believe and still be respectful of others doing it.

What others do, say and believe I can't control. All I can do is try and show them when I think there wrong. After that what they do is their business.

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  16. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    No doubt (to me) the Covid 19 policy around the world has been THE topic of our lifetimes. Therefore, it's easily understandable how sensitivities can be heightened. I thank ALL of you for doing their best to keep this thread civil and informative. I think we've succeeded nicely.

17. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    We all live in our own little bubbles and it's easy to forget that the significance of an event, like COVID can be quite different depending on where you are from and how it may have affected your own life. I admit, in amongst all the madness, I've had a positive couple of years. Three week paid holiday in March, got loads done in the garden and house, then haven't stopped working building the best houses I've ever done, and got a pay rise. I love my job and meet fun people everyday. Also discovered chastity and my wife and I are getting along better than ever.

I know people who have been really affected, lost income, jobs, stuck on zoom half the day. It needs to end for everyone. Well overdue a nice relaxing holiday in the Med.

It's important that we don't fall for the political trap. They want to polarise us. Make every disagreement into something to fight about. Whatever your religious or political view we are more similar, and have more in common than the loudest voices would have us believe. We all love our kids and want them to do well, like to spend time with friends, etc...

subrick, Lazlo Toth and L-u-c-y like this.
  18. Yaquiran

Yaquiran Member

Local Time:
    r24fymseFX.jpg

I'm betting the forced masking on airlines will be permanent, joining the rest of the "temporary" post 9/11 "security" measures. I would love to be wrong about that.

Lazlo Toth and Dianna1395 like this.
  19. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    I think it's important to keep this thread about covid and not diverge into other areas like Ukraine.

The site could end up being full of arguments about politics.

Lazlo Toth, Suewiang and R2002 like this.
  20. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    Unless it's COVID in the Ukraine?

21. Yaquiran

Yaquiran Member

Local Time:
    I'm sorry if my post was inappropriate in that context.

It's unfortunate that the covid stuff has become inextricably politicized. Is discussion of the WEF and such ok?

Lazlo Toth and L-u-c-y like this.
  22. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    Yes : )

Yaquiran and Lazlo Toth like this.
  23. Dianna1395

Dianna1395 Long term member

IT
    Boston, Mass
    Local Time:
    And the extension of financial surveillance, too.
    checking our transactions and accounts over $600 will stop the "millionaires and the Billionaires" who are never "paying their fair share."
    /s

24. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...cessary-defensible-says-head-inquiry-swedens/

t.jpg

Covid lockdowns weren’t needed, finds inquiry in the country that stayed open

Some countries that did impose lockdowns had 'significantly worse outcomes' than Sweden, whose citizens also retained more persoal freedom

By
    Richard Orange
    MALMÖ
    25 February 2022 • 7:30pm

Recurring lockdowns imposed across Europe to curb Covid-19 were neither "necessary" nor "defensible", Sweden's official inquiry into its handling of the pandemic has concluded.

In its final report, the country's Coronavirus Commission strongly supported Sweden’s pandemic strategy, concluding that the decision to rely primarily on "advice and recommendations which people were expected to follow voluntarily" had been "fundamentally correct”.

The decision not to impose mandatory restrictions meant that Swedes “retained more of their personal freedom than in many other countries,” the report concludes.

In addition, the commission writes that it is “not convinced that extended or recurring mandatory lockdowns, as introduced in other countries, are a necessary element in the response to a new, serious epidemic outbreak”.

Several countries which did impose lockdowns, it notes, had “significantly worse outcomes” than Sweden, while the restriction of individual freedom was “hardly defensible other than in the face of very extreme threats”.

Sweden's health minister Lena Hallengren welcomed the commission's conclusions.

"The non-lockdown policy has been much-debated. I've had to answer a lot of questions during the pandemic about the 'Swedish strategy," she told the Telegraph. "The fact that the commission concluded that the overall strategy, based on non-invasive recommendations... was the right choice. I think that's good."

The commission is, however, much more critical of the speed of Sweden’s covid response, finding that measures were "too few and should have come sooner”.

While the report’s authors said Sweden's government was right to not shut primary and lower secondary schools during the pandemic, they wrote that other “indoor settings where people gather or come into close contact” should have been restricted.

These include shopping centres, restaurants, cultural and sports events, hairdressing salons, and swimming pools.

The commission also argues that face masks should have been encouraged in public places as soon as they were no longer in short supply, that the government should have stopped all inessential inward travel in March 2020, and that those returning from ski trips at the end of February should have been asked to quarantine.

The report is also critical of the way the government delegated responsibility to the Public Health Agency, its then director-general Johan Carlson, and state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell.

“The Government should have assumed leadership of all aspects of crisis management from the outset,” it rules. “It should have been able to overcome the obstacles to clear national leadership that currently exist.”

Tobias Billström, group leader of the opposition Moderate Party, said that this amounted to scathing criticism.

"The commission is saying that the government has not done what a government should do in this situation, which is to lead the nation. They've dodged out of it," he said.

The report also accuses the government of being over-reliant on the Public Health Agency for expertise.

Ms Hallengren rejected this charge: “They can have their opinion about that. But the fact is, that the Public Health Agency is not one expert, it’s hundreds of experts. It would be very strange if I, as health minister, or the government, relied on specific or unique experts instead of this very big expert authority."

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  25. Suewiang

Suewiang Long term member

Maid
    England
    Local Time:
    Look like they have a numbskull opposition also

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice