Possible Data Breach...? Password Updates POSSIBLY Required

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by I LOVE my Choice!, Nov 15, 2020.

1. I LOVE my Choice!

I LOVE my Choice! Long term member

Western Australia
    Local Time:
    2:12 AM
    Hi all!

Just had notification within Chrome browser that my password to the site MAY be compromised as a result of a data breach....

I have no ideas of the technicalities of this.... But I changed my password as a precaution and came here to advise on what I saw...

If anyone on Admin would like to add anything regarding this sort of occurrence please feel free to do so...

Kind regards

J.

2. maid_carrie

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    7:12 PM
    I have just run a check in my password section of Chrome and no problem shown.

I did have a warning about another site some weeks ago but I suspect it's a catchall type of check - has a site been breached and was the same password used on other sites?

Certainly wise to change passwords, particularly if there is personal data like names and credit card info held on it. No card info here of course.

There's been no mention of a known breach from @L-u-c-y

Charles3451 and MissyB like this.
  3. MissyB

MissyB Long term member

maid, (I wish)
    Tennessee hills
    Local Time:
    2:12 PM
    Thanks for checking this out Ms. Carrie - you're the best. :)

jemima likes this.
  4. RhiannonT

RhiannonT Long term member

Home Page:
    Local Time:
    4:12 AM
    If you use the same email address/password combination for multiple sites it's possible that another site has been compromised and Chrome is suggesting you change your password because of this.

If you want to check if your credentials have been exposed in a data breach, try here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

You can also try using a password manager, such as LastPass. It lets you generate random passwords for each site you need credentials for, and it stores them in a safe. It's a bit mre secure than Chrome.

5. Sipriotes

Sipriotes Slave to Artemistress

Home Page:
    Local Time:
    2:12 PM
    Excellent advice. Reusing passwords across sites is a MASSIVE security risk. Attackers regularly take password dumps from low security sites that have been breached and try them on high-security sites like banks, Gmail, Paypal, etc. It's called credential stuffing, and the success rate is way higher than it should be.

In addition to using a password manager you should enable two-factor authentication anywhere it's available. Then even if your password is guessed, there is another step someone has to go through before they can get access to your account.

MeatLocker and Charles3451 like this.
  6. LesterBallard

LesterBallard Long term member

Management
    United Kingdom
    Local Time:
    7:12 PM
    two factor authentication is a bit of a pain, to be honest, if you're just looking to make a quick purchase or whatever, but in the end it's for our own good, so it seems churlish to complain. Haven't had any notifications relating to this site.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice