A Sea Change in Online Behaviour ?

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by sissy_maid_melody, Jun 21, 2013.

1. sissy_maid_melody

sissy_maid_melody Active member

Local Time:
    12:25 AM
    This is not exactly a rant, more a condensing of thoughts from observations over the years as to how online behaviour has changed on interest and contact sites over the years.

Even now, from long ago, I recall the thrill and fear of first logging in to a D/s site. All my dreams of a mistress immediately spotting me and whisking me away for a life where every fantasy will be fulfilled. Ok, it didn't quite work out that way :) I have a general rule that if you want to approach someone online, then ask yourself if what you intend to say could be said to their face in a pub. Personally, I just consider that to be good manners. You can imagine my dismay when I first encountered online forums to see males flocking around any female name (and how many actually were female was debatable) and using language and approaches that would probably get them arrested in the real world - or at worst, a drink thrown over them in a pub.

There's a kind of Gresham's law applied to online interaction. The worst behaviour is often what is seen in the public spaces, newbies tend either to believe this is the norm and copy it, or they stay quiet. The quiet ones are effectively driven in to hiding, yet they are often the most earnest and the ones who are most likely to be genuine sub material.

Ideal or not, this was the way things were. As an earnest young thing I learned that there really weren't hundreds of dommes fighting over each sub and instead, it was the other way around. Falling in the quiet category it took some time before I was talking with real women and I learned just how much they hated the aggressive male approaches. One of the most common bug bears being that the males were too stupid to have read a profile before jumping in. Even then I found that male aggression rather odd for people who proclaimed to be submissive. However, it was accepted that this was how it worked, the ratio of subs to dommes created competition amongst the subs and this would bring out some unsavoury behaviour. In almost no circumstances would females act in the same manner.

This brings me on to the sea change over the years. Even before E.L. James the Internet was bringing fetish and BDSM behaviour more in to the mainstream and things began to change. It was kind of cute to see the beginning of young girls offering services to pay their way through uni or college. A niche market on the sidelines that despite not being my cup of tea obviously worked for some people.

Move it on a decade and the niche market has become the mainstream. A sideline for extra cash has become a business for many and to make it a business requires marketing that becomes ever more aggressive. Almost every site has been flooded with it. All too frequently I now find my inboxes with approaches from "dommes" who cut and paste the same message without reading my profile first. It has to be said that these people are almost 100% under 30 years old and just like our ladette drinking culture, they seem to have adopted the worst characteristics of what they perceive to be the 'lad' culture. Aggression, rudeness, ignorance of the basics of spelling and grammar.

I also wonder if I'm seeing a new variant of Gresham's law in female profiles on such sites. When we arrive at somewhere new one of our instincts and desires is to conform. We ask "what are the rules ?" I do wonder, if with so many profiles and ads demanding money to treat other people like dirt, that newbie females wanting to explore some new found desires scan the profiles of others and think that this is what they have to conform to. If so, that's truly depressing.

For me now, my profiles on sites are fairly specific about what will work and what won't, so 99% of messages are easy to spot as some sort of come on. It does make me worry about others, those starting out on their journey in fear and excitement, believing that someone special has just spotted them. Male subs often live in a world of excessive hope where they will wish to believe that the person contacting them is real. Too often now I read posts where such subs have had their life shattered and their bank accounts emptied.

Yes, I do think there has been a sea change and the deadly female of the species has adapted a lot better than the male.

2. jemima

jemima maid for my Mistress

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    i have had lots of them pm's as well asking me to contact folks on yahoo and that. Mistress just deletes them all.

3. Dumb1

Dumb1 senior member

trade
    UK
    Local Time:
    Best way is as you say just delete or ignore them! i have tried to explain to a couple on here quite politely that i am involved and they dont even bother to say goodbye or finish the conversation. Very rude some of them.

4. Dave Francis

Dave Francis Member

Student
    Devon
    Local Time:
    I definitely agree with you sissy-maid-melody and thank you for such an informative post about 'how it used to be'. I myself have only just started looking and am in almost utter despair at the actions of people on some sites - It seems like every week I talk to a new person who seems promising only for the conversation to gradually deteriorate to a demand that I 'prove I am worthy' by joining a different 'dating' website. Please inform me if I am wrong but I haven't succumbed to such demands as they seem a little scammy...

It is a shame that such things are inevitable, and it is really off putting for people like me who are really just out to meet people and to talk about a world that I don't really fully understand yet but know I want to be part of - it feels like I just cant find that world (thankfully sites like this exist which are more welcoming).

On a different note, I also think it is making men more agressive or less responsible with their messaging - I personally spend a long time crafting a message I send, and I only send them to very few people, but everytime one of these turns out to be scammer it makes me just want to give up, or just send a message to everyone in the hope of finding someone real.

Anyway this is turning into a bit of a rant...so I'll be quiet now. I just thought I'd confirm to you that for someone new like me it is becoming a bit off putting - especially when you are too shy like me to go along to real life events / don't really know what to expect.

But heres to being positive though - there are some lovely people out there I guess I have to keep on looking - I'd level a guess that 99% of the genuine people are lovely too, if this site is anything to go by.

manintyres and Mascara^Snake like this.
  5. Lucy

Lucy Lucy X

UK, East Midlands
    Local Time:
    Hmm its really strange and scarey out there.
    I joined an adult baby web site to see what was going on. Wrote a post and got it deleted as they have a policy that it must be suitable for a PG-13 (in other words if your are over 13 you would understand what an adult baby is?!??!).

Very peculiar - and no one even said hi or replied to my posts? Wont be going back!
    Regards
    slave phil

6. sissy_maid_melody

sissy_maid_melody Active member

Local Time:
    I just had a wonderful example on another site that had me rolling with laughter. Here's the entire email.

Melody i crave for your servitude ........

A little research finds a pro-domme site where you're invited to sign up for many things.

Over the years I've spent a lot of time talking to dommes who despair of the one liner approach from subs. The genuine domme wants to read something interesting, as a woman she quite likes to be wooed and to find a personality. Since it now seems to be de rigeur for a whole class of 'dommes' to behave in the way many subs have for years, I too would really prefer to read something interesting and be wooed. If nothing else, I'd like them to have at least read the profile.

I emailed her back and thanked her for the laugh, but apparently it went over her head - which says it all :)

Mascara^Snake likes this.
  7. manintyres

manintyres Junior Member

Process Operator
    Thurrock
    Local Time:
    Part of the problem is because we are sitting behind a screen and it is easy to type things and send them because it can be so i'm personal.

Like sissy_maid_melody I joined up and thought exactly the same when I joined websites and also made various mistakes of sending Mistresses long winded messages of how I would do anything for them and yes to a certain degree sending messages including my fantasies ( when I was brand new I thought this was the way to find a partner and impress them)

Thankfully over the years I have learned and made some close and lovely friends who have helped and guided and advised me as well as finding out more about myself in this lifestyle as well.

I have always been respectful and always treated people like human beings and not just fantasy figures, even though it might not have looked like it when I first started.

I have had my fair share of "join this site" or "prove your worth " messages and nearly got caught out in the beginning.

True Mistresses and subs will always shine through in the end and these "pay dommes" will come and go.

Hopefully the new subs will learn, just like I did, and I do have sympathy for ladies on these sites because they get in undated with messages from males.

Thank you for posting this.

Mascara^Snake likes this.
  8. MissMelissa

MissMelissa Say "yes" to Miss Melissa

publishing
    Detroit
    Local Time:
    7:25 PM
    I don't have the experience that many, if not most, of you have. But I can echo the desire someone spoke of for real conversation and real, grownup, intelligent thinking. I replied to a message recently from a man who said he wanted to serve me by asking if he had thought through how he wants to serve and why. He said he hadn't.

I can work with someone to discuss his motivation and desires (for me, the compelling part), but I need somewere to start, that's for sure.

MM

kaligod likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice