Does God exist

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Jay Sub, Oct 27, 2023.

?

Where do you sit on the scale? Votes are anonymous, though please do explain

1. 1. Strong theist. 100% probability of God

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. 2. De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100%

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. 3. Leaning towards theism. Higher than 50% but not very high

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. 4. Completely impartial. Exactly 50%

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. 5. Leaning towards atheism. Lower than 50%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6. De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  7. 6.9 Is this more accurate to you.

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. 7. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God"

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. Jay Sub

Jay Sub "Smaller is better"

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    4:05 PM
    #1 Jay Sub, Oct 27, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    In The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins posits that "the existence of God is a scientific hypothesis like any other." He goes on to propose a continuous "spectrum of probabilities" between two extremes of opposite certainty, which can be represented by seven "milestones". Dawkins suggests definitive statements to summarize one's place along the spectrum of theistic probability. These "milestones" are:

1. Strong theist. 100% probability of God. In the words of Carl Jung: "I do not believe, I know."

2. De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100%. "I don't know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there."

3. Leaning towards theism. Higher than 50% but not very high. "I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God."

4. Completely impartial. Exactly 50%. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."

5. Leaning towards atheism. Lower than 50% but not very low. "I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."

6. De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."

7. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one."

Dawkins argues that while there appear to be plenty of individuals that would place themselves as "1" due to the strictness of religious doctrine against doubt, most atheists do not consider themselves "7" because atheism arises from a lack of evidence and evidence can always change a thinking person's mind. In print, Dawkins self-identified as a "6", though when interviewed by Bill Maher and later by Anthony Kenny, he suggested "6.9" to be more accurate.

O2beyoursub likes this.
  2. IB-Chaste

IB-Chaste Chastity Superman.

Local Time:
    Seriously?

Beyondheat likes this.
  3. atxmtb

atxmtb Long term member

Local Time:
    10:05 AM
    The question isn't quite right. Not to parse words, but "exists" is tough. Exists implies active. In my case, something certainly existed that started things going. Even a big bang had energy to start with. So really, and sorry for coping out, but I place God in the "mystery" category. I don't know if he/she exists, ever existed, or what any of this stuff is about. I believe it is reasonable, therefore, to have respect for something unknown and to be stewards of what we have. Assuming there is/has been a God, I feel he/she is good and benevolent. But I don't believe he/she is dialed into me personally. I do believe Christianity lays out a good way of living. I try to avoid questions like, is everything in the New Testament divine? My only concern is to be a nice guy.

Subhub101 likes this.
  4. IB-Chaste

IB-Chaste Chastity Superman.

Local Time:
    He/she? What? This needs its own thread. ‘If God exists, is he female?
    The plot thickens :eek:

5. LockedForTeal

LockedForTeal Enjoying the adventure

Local Time:
    9:05 AM
    I know God exists because I have a relationship with him. I think most people who question His existence are really more mad at the religious institutions or they somehow attribute things in the Bible as condoned by God.

The Bible is a story of how broken the human race is and how God redeems us. Never forget that God butted heads with the "religious" more than anyone else.

KyDave, Muppet, Robynjean22 and 4 others like this.
  6. BavarianWoman

BavarianWoman I rule

Reinsurance
    Munich
    Local Time:
    5:05 PM
    I once met her, sitting in the toilet booth beneath me, she was drunk and asked for a tampon.

austria_fox, good2fun and JaySaysYes like this.
  7. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    Perhaps for those who sit in the middle. But a 6 or a 6.9 is not necessarily angry with religious institutions. It is quite simple. I am not convinced there are any gods. I would be happy to change that view if evidence is presented that convinces me otherwise. I look at that evidence, because many of my fellow humans believe there are gods. I am yet to be presented with clear evidence.

8. atxmtb

atxmtb Long term member

Local Time:
    10:05 AM
    It's a little like Descartes. "I think, therefore I am". My variation is, I am, therefore there's a God. Sure, we could be result of a ton of highly improbable random electrons bouncing around. Even then, you need to wonder where all those random electrons came from. I think what has distracted folks is we were introduced to God as a guy with a white beard who hangs out in the clouds and has all these angels with wings flying around him. That Michelangelo view of God is highly suspect. On some other post I brought up one of my philosophical foundations. Ocam's Razor. "The simple solution is probably the right solution" (or some other translation). Said another way, of the two options: 1) all of the universe just popped into being one day, and all this cool stuff like atoms, and DNA, and water, and life just randomly came to be due to Darwinian type forces or 2) something unknown had a hand in it. I tend to lean towards the something unknown had something to do with it.

Of course, you could turn that around on me and say, OK, I grant you that some entity that we can call God, starting things off. But where did God come from. Genesis essentially says, God always was and always will be. Well, that's not very satisfying of an explanation. If God can always be, why not the Universe?

That's again why I chalk it more up to a mystery. My little brain will never comprehend something so big.

9. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    I see Ocam's Razor differently. If we need a creator, then so does the creator and we end up with infinite regress. So I think the simplest, most parsimonious solution is no creator. There is no agency.

10. LesterBallard

LesterBallard Long term member

Management
    United Kingdom
    Local Time:
    Wow, just what this place needs, another thread on religion.

Mr_anonymous and remyruff like this.
  11. remyruff

remyruff Long time member

Los Cabos
    Local Time:
    9:05 AM
    DITTO THAT.
    This question guarantees a divided set of answers, why post it?
    To the OP...maybe muse on this question quietly yourself, whatever you come up with...keep it to yourself.

Psst...for those that really need to ask others on an online forum about God existing or not..

There is no God.

12. Christopher Edwards

IT
    UK
    Local Time:
    No, not at all. I don't believe in the existence of (a) god, yet I work for a religious institution.

I feel the proposed existence of a god is a bit of a cop out, a nice easy way to explain things we don't understand, rather than putting in the work to understand the universe better (if we ever can).

Religions are at their heart an attempt to make sense of life and to provide a template for living a good life. I don't see anything wrong in that in principle.

remyruff likes this.
  13. maiden sissypanies

maiden sissypanies Junior Member

Australia
    Local Time:
    1:05 AM
  14. cj0434

cj0434 Active member

Local Time:
    8:05 AM
    I don't think you can proved God exists. For example, one person holding a bible speaks quotes "prooving" God exists, and another guy with another book is "prooving" the opposite. God reveals himself internally. Yes, sometimes that starts with words from someone else. Sometimes speaking words about you that there is no way they would know with out spritual revelation. Another I've seen is praying for instant healing for someone and standing there seeing them be healed. They're very convinced that God exists! I've seen this with my own eyes, not something on Youtube.
    For me I was raised believing, but experiencing so much confirmation has brought more strength to that. One of my earliest memories was at around 6 years old I lost 5 or 6 coins which I was upset about. Looking around everywhere for them. I asked my mom if she knew where they were. It seemed like I was bothering her a bit and she just said, "why don't you pary about it". I thought that was a great idea and I remember standing by my trainset in my playroom and asked God. Then I looked and the coins appeared on the table before me stacked neatly. I was overjoyed. Grabbed my coins and went off to play. So many amazing things in my life that I could never believe that God doesn't exist. I experience His presence every day.

atxmtb likes this.
  15. JaySaysYes

JaySaysYes I identify as someone that is always right

Local Time:
    Do you exist?

That's a better question, especially if you ask the lower beings such as insects or vermin.

Maybe the insects are wondering whether you exist or not, and have a forum where someone just posted that question, with a limited subset of responses chosen by an insect that wrote a book and does paid interviews or interviews to promote their book "The Human Delusion".

I preferred Christopher Hitchens. Dawkins is such a whiny twat.

My answer; God exists if you want it to. Or not. Either way, just enjoy the experience of being human, go outside, and hug a tree or something.

16. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    Or are insects conscious?

17. VinnyDfl

VinnyDfl Active member

Local Time:
    11:05 AM
    God is a belief and as such is not provable. At most even the Pope will say it is a matter of faith. I am an Atheist even though I was schooled in gifted programs in Catholic schools. I have no problem with people who are religious as all my friends are. I draw the line on people who try to push their BELIEFS on me thinking beliefs are facts when they are not by definition of the word belief. Prayer has been proven by many studies to show the results are no better than random chance. In fact 10-20 million people are leaving the church due to disagreeing with their stand on things like LQBT issues, birth control, abortion, etc.. Most Christians I know are Christians by name only as they simple discard the sins they do not like and seldom attend church.

In history there have been 300 major gods that were thought to be real and for which humans fought and died for. We no longer believe in Zeus and Thor or any of the other 300, 18000 if you count minor gods, and yet despite history showing that gods that were believed enough to die for were not real, people still create gods and still cannot agree on one god was we do have several now. If there were proof of any god it would be world headlines and unite all religions into one and bring peace to the world. However as it is now, people kill other due to their religious beliefs. Go to Iran and try to tell them that their god is false and see what happens to you.

18. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Consciousness is a human construct.

Do insects care for human constructs?

I think Dewey was on to something...

19. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    Perhaps. But then define consciousness? I would say that perhaps if a creature has sensory input, that allows a brain to make a decision of any sort, then that could be defined as a conscious act.

20. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    Would a seven please explain themselves!? I'd expect it at the other end, but you should know better.

21. Christopher Edwards

IT
    UK
    Local Time:
    I don't believe in belief. Why do I need to believe in something ? It exists or it doesn't, what I believe makes no difference surely ?

22. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    I don't need to define it, you galloped off and answered your own question, so let's go with that.

Do you think insects care about your definition?

Do you care about theirs?

Do 2 dimensional beings, and I don't mean Yanks or muricans or their vassals, or those that visited epsteins island to hang with the kids, care about the interests of 3 dimensional beings? Do 4 dimensional beings care about the definitions of us mere 3d peeps?

23. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    You really believe that?

24. Christopher Edwards

IT
    UK
    Local Time:
    Believe it or not . . .

25. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Do you?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice