Does God exist

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Jay Sub, Oct 27, 2023.

?

Where do you sit on the scale? Votes are anonymous, though please do explain

1. 1. Strong theist. 100% probability of God

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. 2. De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100%

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. 3. Leaning towards theism. Higher than 50% but not very high

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. 4. Completely impartial. Exactly 50%

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. 5. Leaning towards atheism. Lower than 50%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6. De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  7. 6.9 Is this more accurate to you.

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. 7. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God"

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. Jay Sub

Jay Sub "Smaller is better"

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    1:05 PM
    Well said

JaySaysYes likes this.
  2. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    Let's not bring conspiracy into the mix. Even as a staunched atheist I wouldn't call to end religion. It is an important part of all our pasts even if it's relevance is diminishing. We still need to root ourselves in where we came from. Not just biologically, but socially and historically.

JaySaysYes likes this.
  3. JaySaysYes

JaySaysYes I identify as someone that is always right

Local Time:
    It's on par with raping a virgin and telling the world it was divine.

4. Mr_anonymous

Mr_anonymous Long term member

Local Time:
    8:05 AM
    Perfectly fair comparison. I don't play favorites

JaySaysYes likes this.
  5. JaySaysYes

JaySaysYes I identify as someone that is always right

Local Time:
    Me neither, but it's off topic in the context of whether the rapist exists or not.

6. Tricky-

Tricky- Active member

Local Time:
    6:05 PM
    Mate if religion doesn't exist who care's about feelings? Idk who said that to me Quran says to kill the non believers where is that at mate? And in 6th century it was common that girl would get married at the age if six. There were so many enemies of Islam but non of them seems to be bothered with being married to a 6 year old why is that? Abu lahab who was against islam he was against everything but when prophet Muhammad SM pbuh married Aisa (R.) He didn't seem to care at all. I mean now i know why don't you believe in god cause you guys never learned history and science properly lol. Tell me why did it took you guys extra like 1200 years to end racism against black people?

7. Mr_anonymous

Local Time:
    Still waiting on you to fess up your honorable infallible prophet married a child.

8. Tricky-

Tricky- Active member

Local Time:
    Damn you are an illiterate can't even read the laws which are in English mate. You illiterate because your dad left you. It's sad mate. You are living for nothingness.

9. Mr_anonymous

Local Time:
    Still not an answer is it? Where did all that logic go? Bold assumptions about my life and what I live for. I'm not the clinging to a kiddy diddling prophet to justify my existence.

10. Tricky-

Tricky- Active member

Local Time:
    Is this not an answer?
    He declared, further, that this society had urgent need to pronounce itself on the subject of the so-called age of consent laws. Girls are deemed capable of controlling property only at their majority, but States decide not so with their persons. In four States the age of consent is fixed at the shockingly low age of ten years, in four others at twelve, in three at thirteen, and so on, increasing, except in Delaware, where the original statute pertaining to the crime of rape is still unrepealed, fixing the age at seven years. These so-called age of con- sent statutes, which discriminate against girlhood and favor immoral men, are a disgrace to the several States of the Union.

(The New York Times, 15/10/1895, "Purity Congress Meets", page 16)

You know the Truth it hurts but you will ignore it cause it will expose your lies. If you still say ahh I don't bla bla bla. It is the prove that you are indeed blind.

11. Mr_anonymous

Local Time:
    The truth he is he married a child. Another truth its rampant in Islam. Look at the dancing boys in afghanistan. Child abuse, and a horrific record of human rights violations towards women are well documented. Yet you refuse to address it and call it infallible. It's really quite telling honestly.

12. atxmtb

atxmtb Long term member

Local Time:
    7:05 AM
    I'm not sure what we're discussing here, but quoting an article from 1895 is irrelevant to today. Our country was just a couple years past the civil war. Women still didn't have the right to vote. There s is no state in the country today where the age of consent is lower than 16. And that's the same whether you are a male or a female.

The main point is that sexual predation is not specific to religion. It exists in all power structures. It sucks but it is not an indictment of religion. You can argue that religion should do more to root out sexual predation. I agree. I think our culture, and our government should do more too. In a previous post you were down on Mohammed because he took a child bride. Is that what your point is all about? At that time, the custom was that a female that had her first menstrual cycle was old enough to marry. You might say, well that's too young. And I'd agree. But picking an age, say 16-18, may make sense, but age is arbitrary while having a period is not. So don't condemn Islam because of the cultural norms of the day of Mohammad.

13. Mr_anonymous

Local Time:
    I will 100% condemn marrying a six year old in any situation, at any time. That's sick and predatory if it was a 1000 years ago or yesterday. The human rights violations under islam law still rack up today. Women are second class citizens with no rights.

14. atxmtb

atxmtb Long term member

Local Time:
    The girl was 9, not 6. Regardless, you live today, not back then. And it wasn't specific to Islam. I agree with you. Marrying a 9 year old is crazy and society should outlaw it. Islam, to this day, says you can "marry" at any age, but you can't "consummate" it till they reach puberty. Even so, I agree with you, that is too young. I am certainly not the guy to defend Islam. I don't believe in it, I believe it is wrong on many levels, the age of marriage being one of them. But you seem to more concerned about that, than the depravity and exploitation of women of all ages in western society today. Personally, I am more appalled at dressing up an 8 year old as a transvestite or a sex goddess and prancing them around in a library or pagent than I am with the marriage practices of an ancient religion. The west has little moral ground to stand on when judging the age of marriage in Islam.

15. Mr_anonymous

Local Time:
    He married her at six. Waited till nine to bed her to be exact. Again human rights violations against children and women are still rampant in islam. It wasn't a 1400 year ago problem is its an ongoing one. I also agree beauty pageants are disgusting but those parents aren't claiming to be a prophet of god so it's ok.

16. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    It detracts from the original question anyway. I have yet to see any, even remotely new and interesting proofs that would even make me consider the possibility that God exists. This guy clearly doesn't understand science at all. Unless he can come up with a Quranic perfection argument that isn't circular, I have nothing to add. You make good points about the subjugation of women in Islamic culture, but I see no gain in pursuing that as evidence for or against God.

17. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    Humans care about feelings. Religious or not. Prove me wrong!?

18. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

The middle east and Russia are far more racist than most western countries. See this study

19. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    If English is your first language, you should see the irony here.

20. IB-Chaste

IB-Chaste Chastity Superman.

Local Time:
    I didn’t see that as the original question. I thought the subject was ‘if you believed God exists’.

This is obviously a contentious subject for many, and accepting that others have differing views is just something we should be respectful of. There is no reason for debate.

As @Mr_anonymous and @Tricky- are showing, you can’t change someone’s beliefs. Debating this just causes anger and shows the worst in people.

21. Tricky-

Tricky- Active member

Local Time:
  22. Tricky-

Tricky- Active member

Local Time:
    If you know science then show me that in darwin book of evolution he says amino acids and nucleotides somehow made the first cell in warm water. He is the father of evolution i am not mistaken. Then macro evolution where? Show me a scientific data/research/result/documents proving it I will become atheist then lastly why haven't you shown me a copy like the Quran? Show me which can replace the Quran.

23. Tricky-

Tricky- Active member

Local Time:
    No humans don't care about feelings and morality if their is no afterlife. If i kill you and their is no afterlife then who is going to judge that i killed you? I can do what ever i want. Stealing peoples money etc. 80% of the people agrees that if religion wasn't a thing they would have lead a worse life. Look at American right now. Developed country? More like a failed county if this continues to happen there will be no next generation in like 10-20 years or so. Reason? Moral degradation why? Cause they don't believe in god. You think i am making it up? Go seach it.

24. atxmtb

atxmtb Long term member

Local Time:
    Bah, wrong. I do not really believe in an afterlife. That is completely irrelevant to who I am as a person and how I treat others. I believe in right and wrong. Not because if I do something wrong I'll be going to hell, or not going to heaven. I do it because it is the correct thing to do. My moral compass is not about the afterlife. Not at all. I agree that we live with a ton of immoral people. They are immoral, not because they don't believe in an afterlife, but because no one ever taught them what is right and wrong. Religion helps teach people right from wrong, but it is not the only way.

But I get your point and basically you are right. Our society is fucked. I believe that belief in God would help, but simply teaching people the basics, even without God and religion, is all that is needed. For some reason, if I tell someone, "stealing is wrong", they would think I'm preaching some religion to them. It has nothing to do with religion (in the sense of organizations). Of course you could define "religion" as a common belief system. Then sure, we lack religion. But it doesn't need "God". Eastern religions don't have a diety. Yet they have morals. That's my point.

25. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    Strawman argument.

The fact is that the proportion of atheists in prison is far less than that of the general population. This clearly show that atheists are either much cleverer at not getting caught, or that they commit less crime. The lower the religiosity of a country or state, the lower the crime rates are. Go search that!

bondinchas likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice