Nickel in Stainless Cages

Discussion in 'Difficulties with wearing a device?' started by atxmtb, Apr 13, 2024.

1. atxmtb

atxmtb Long term member

Local Time:
    12:28 AM
    Aha! I've learned something new. I have a great cage, a Queens Keep from Mature Metal. It fits like the proverbial glove. It is so comfortable I hardly know I'm wearing it. My original cage is a plastic Vice. That doesn't fit as well, so naturally my preference was the QK. Every fucking time I wear it, I end up with a rash. I thought it was perhaps the cream I use to make things comfy. But still, it only seemed a problem with the cage, but I discounted that. It's stainless I said. That can't be the problem. I've done a little research. Here's something I didn't know. Stainless Steel actually includes 15% nickel. Some people have a nickel sensitivity. I'm one of them. I have a wedding ring that has nickel in it. For the first few years, every time I wore my wedding ring, I'd get a rash on my finger. We joked about it. Like I'm allergic to the idea. But the rash eventually (after a couple years mind you) went away. It was never too too bad. But it's a finger we're talking about. Not a cock. And it's a small ring, vs a cage.

Have others happened upon this allergy to stainless steel cages? Is there something you've done to get around it? I figure I need to get myself a badass titanium cage. Or stick with my Vice. It's really too bad. I really like my Queens Keep.

2. Alceste

Alceste Chaste Member

United States
    Local Time:
    10:28 PM
    Titanium devices tend to be grade 5 alloy which is called Ti6Al4V, that is: 6% Aluminum, 4% Vanadium, remainder Titanium. Another common alloy used for body applications replaces the Vanadium with Niobium.

Note that these alloys are used in medical implants, such as for hip or shoulder replacements, so it is considered to be a very good metal for use in contact with body tissues.

corsac and Tom Allen like this.
  3. atxmtb

atxmtb Long term member

Local Time:
    12:28 AM
    I hear you, medical devices actually stear clear of stainless specifically because of the nickel component. There are a bunch of articles. This one seems to bolster what I had written. https://catlogix.com/pages/what-metals-are-hypoallergenic

Titanium is one of the most hypoallergenic. Nickel sensitivity is quite common and is a problem with stainless. I've asked badass if there titanium has any nickel in it. I'll be sure to update here

4. Alceste

Alceste Chaste Member

United States
    Local Time:
    Note that what distinguishes steel from plain iron is the addition of a small amount of carbon as an alloying element.

What distinguishes stainless steel from regular steel is the addition of chromium and some amount of nickel (along with some other elements depending on the particular grade). They tend to use 316 stainless steel for surgical tools because it has a lot of good properties on balance. But, it is the nickel that makes stainless steel less appropriate for continuous contact with body tissues.

This is why they now use titanium alloys for implants. It is a bit more expensive as a material, and is more difficult to work with (machining and welding), but this is all worth it for such an application.

Tom Allen likes this.
  5. WTF15

WTF15 Active member

Local Time:
    I was also unable to wear SS cages for more than a few days as my skin eventually became red and very sore where ever the SS was touching it. i tried a titanium cage from BAW, and found that I can wear it for months at a time with no issues.

atxmtb likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice