The etymology of chastity

Discussion in 'Chastity and orgasm denial' started by tqbartleby, Jun 5, 2018.

Random Thread
  1. tqbartleby

tqbartleby Active member

France
    Local Time:
    9:49 PM
    I was thinking recently about the variety of responses I have when I'm sentenced to extra time in lockup. They range from arousal to frustration to sullen impatience to a feeling of rebelliousness. But what, I wondered, is the proper response for a submissive?

My conclusion: When sentenced to punitive extensions of lockup time, a man should not whine, complain, sulk, or rebel: rather, he should feel and act chastened.

"Chastened" is defined as subdued, humbled, restrained by some corrective action. It has a connotation of being aware of one's fault, accepting that one is somehow in the wrong, and adopting an appropriately low-key, apologetic profile as a consequence.

The words "chastity," "chasten," and "chaste" have a common root: castus, the Latin word for "pure." This purity is defined primarily as sexual: a person is chaste who refrains from sexual intercourse.

"Chastise", from the Latin castigare (like "castigate"), shares with the verb "chasten" the original sense "to make pure," specifically by punishment of some kind. "Chastise" now has a stronger connotation of physical punishment, while "castigate" is more often used to denote a tongue-lashing.

So men who choose chastity can be said to seek correction of their own "impurity" (that is, their own desire for intercourse). The partners who rule them and impose chastity periods are making them pure; should they also go in for corporal punishment, that is further chastisement--by which one should also feel chastened.

End of etymology lesson!

2. Rectrix

Rectrix Long term member

US East Coast
    Local Time:
    3:49 PM
    Wonderful, thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice